Hi, I’m [REDACTED]!


I play EVE Online, I fly for a mid-sized null-sec alliance, and I’m a spy. Or at least, I was. This will only be published a long, long time from when the events described actually happened. At least, probably long after. This is my little story.
I’m starting this blog since I’m lacking in ways to talk about it. Real-Life friends are a little bored by my EVE sperging, and in-game friends are 100% off-limits due to Op-Sec (operational security) reasons. That, and I’ve never really seen any life-of-a-spy blogs before, only shadowy references ‘a spy did a thing.’






The idea of a MMO that legitimately supported spying was always a draw into EVE for me. Stories about spies, betrayals, epic battles swayed by the actions of a few key folks who lied their way into the right place at the right time were one of the things that pulled me into the game. EVE sunk it’s hooks into me rather quickly, and less than a year into playing I started into the spy-game. It felt like a whole new avenue of the game that would be interesting to explore. So I made a ‘clean’ character, and ran them through some of the basic tutorial stuff, faction-warfare,etc, to establish a ‘backstory’, and make a little cash the newbie way.



Most null-sec groups have fairly in-depth background-checks before they accept you into corp: checking the character’s financial-history, who you’ve added as a contact in-game, what stuff you have in your inventory, etc. Thus, making a brand-new character, without interacting with any of your other chars is the usual way to go.



(Just for ease of reference I’m going to refer to my actual alliance as ‘home-corp’, and the alliance I’m spying on as ‘target-corp’ throughout this blog.)



I joined-up with home-corp’s spy-program, and got assigned to embed a character into target-corp. I sit down and work through the application process, carefully adding the correct ESI scopes, since a simple mis-click would completely blow my cover-story and ruin the month(s) of effort getting a new character fired-up.



Little did I know just how interesting things were going to get.




If you’re not familiar with EVE Online, here’s a quick primer: EVE is a sci-fi, PvP-focused MMO, based around spaceship combat. Players build, fly, and fight in spaceships of varying size and design. In addition, players can band together into corporations, form those corporations into alliances. Those corporations and alliances can claim territory, build space-stations, and most importantly for this blog, fight wars against each other. It’s sorta like if in WoW you could build your own Stormwind city, and other guilds would try to raze it. Because of this large-scale, playing-for-keeps pvp playstyle, spies are commonplace. Corporation A has characters in Corporation B relaying information back to Group A, and vice-versa.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Being a n00b, Again

Cafeteria Style Identity